Welcome to our Part 2 of our ‘6 Step Guide to Devising Your Promotion’. In our previous article, we discussed the first three steps that included (1) campaign objectives, (2) campaign dates, and (3) incentives, now let’s get right into by discussing the next three steps. By the end of this article you will be well on your way to devising your own perfect promotion.
Step 4. Mechanics
The mechanic is the method that you will use to allow consumers to enter your promotion. There are dozens, if not hundreds of mechanics you could use. Some classic promotion mechanics that you may have seen both from online promotions as well as in-store include ‘Enter to Wins’ or ‘Instant Wins’.
When choosing what mechanic to select for your promotion make sure to choose one that aligns with the marketing objective you are trying to achieve, for example:
- Database Growth Mechanics: The objective here is to get the user’s details such as name and email into your database. There is a broad range of mechanics that could work with this objective as most promotions require the consumer to enter their details, just make sure the incentive is motivating enough.
- Brand Engagement Mechanics: One of the most popular ways to create brand engagement is on social media. Therefore mechanics such as a ‘#hashtag upload’ or an ‘image upload’ promotion are perfect for this. Peazie’s ‘canvas tool mechanics’ that allow for interactive promotions are great for this as well.
- Sales Mechanics: When trying to push someone in-store a good type of mechanic to use is some type of ‘digital coupon’ mechanic. It should offer some type of free trial or discount and should be able to be tracked so you can assign attribution.
Step 5. Campaign Design and Creative
Once you have planned all the objectives and elements of your promotion it is now time to design it. When designing your promotion it’s imperative that you use a good graphic designer. Having great visual elements that are on par with your brand makes all the difference when grabbing the attention of the consumer.
While the campaign visuals are extremely important the magic is in the copy. Make sure your promotion clearly communicates the following to the consumer:
- WIIFI – What’s In It For Me? (The Incentive)
- Who is the brand giving this prize away (Your Company)
- How to enter the promotion (The Mechanic)
The more clearly you communicate the above 3 points the higher your conversions will be.
Step 6. Promotion Traffic
Everybody has heard the saying ‘build it and they will come’. Well, that’s not true in the online world. Once you build your promotion, you must send traffic to it or else no one will know about it. There are many different options to chose from when deciding the best way to send traffic to your promotion, here are some of the most effective ways:
- Social: Do you have a large social following on Facebook? How about Instagram? Spread the word through your social channels.
- Paid Social: Social is great, but engagement can sometimes be low. However using paid social options, especially Facebook Advertising provides plenty of opportunities to advertise to a highly targeted audience.
- EDM: Do you have an existing database or email list? Then emailing your existing contacts about your promotion is a great way to target interested consumers.
- Influencer Marketing: The appears to be the new buzz word at the moment, however, it can produce great results (especially if you’re targeting a younger demographic). Getting an ‘influencer’ to spread the word with their followers to enter your promotion can result in huge traffic to your campaign (Keep in mind usually you might need to find a way to incentivise an influencer to do this for you).
- Partnerships: This is one of our favourites here at Peazie. Find a partner company that has a similar demographic and do a joint promotion together. This enables you to share the costs and leverage each other’s audience.
- Traditional: Depending on the budget you have you could benefit from using traditional forms of advertising such as radio and billboards. This works best if your promotion has mass appeal.
Well there you have it, the 6 steps to devise a successful promotion campaign. Implement these right and you will be well on your way to achieving your marketing objectives.
Of course there is a lot more that goes in devising a promotion, such as the legal and permits side. Also knowing how to select the right mechanic and incentive is a science in itself. That’s the whole reason why Peazie created a custom platform to run its promotions through. Apart from being able to dramatically increase the time it takes to implement a campaign, we now have a database of thousands of campaigns where every element of the promotion has been tracked. We built a tool to query the campaign data to inform us of what types of mechanics, incentives and other elements to use to design the perfect promotion no matter what the marketing objective and situation may be.
We hope you found the tips in this blog to be helpful. If you need help to create you own highly successful promotion make sure to get in touch.